[This post includes a Baby Stats contest. Remember, you have to play to win.]
The baby countdown has resulted in a new form of March Madness now that we are near the final week.
It is all—ok, more like 99.99999%—excitement for me at this point but there is still a smidgen of fear in the deepest recesses of my brain. I know we will be fine on the things we can control but it is those things we outside our control that give me pause. It certainly has not been all roses for TB during the past couple weeks as the baby’s descent has made it harder for her to sleep and sit. Amazingly, she still doesn’t complain. In fact, she seems to want the baby to stay in there and gets mad at me when I try to coax the kid to come on out. I think she’s just trying to buy more time to decide on names.
Here is an ultrasound picture from week 29 (ten weeks ago!)
I initially considered entitling this post “Getting ready for fatherhood” but I am convinced one is never ready. All I can do is work on my skills, gather advice and hope fortune favors the prepared. Once the baby arrives, I want TB to be able to focus on her wellbeing and the baby and not be concerned about anything else.
In terms of my skills, I know how to take care of myself and my household. There is not a chore I haven’t done—I can thank my mom for that—but I’m a bit rusty on some things like ironing and washing clothes. I also know how to swaddle, change diapers, burp and perform other baby-related grunt and wet work thanks to having a couple much-younger siblings. I will need to be more efficient and tireless. Luckily, when I focus on something I really focus and I have my game face on as far as this baby is concerned. See picture to the right for my game face at age 10. You don’t want to mess with me. (Don’t hate on the ‘fro. )
New skills I will have to acquire?
- Coping with our Ashford & Simpson dynamic duo becoming a Batman & Robin where I play Alfred Pennyworth.
- Monitoring my world through cries and dirty diapers instead of email and the Web.
- Trading in Dr. Dre for Dr. Seuss.
- Bathing a newborn. I hear Dustin Hoffman’s character screaming, “Hot water burn baby!” in the scene from Rain Man and imagine TB kicking me out the house.
- Celebrating holidays. TB and I are really bad about holidays and very grateful we have wonderful friends who do them brilliantly.
Those are the first things that popped into my head. There are lots of others. We are bringing in the big guns from the start in the form of grandmas and aunts starting with my MIL Rhon arriving tomorrow a full week before the baby is due and not a moment too soon.
As we head into the final week let’s have a Baby Stats contest.
Here is how points will be awarded:
- Gender = 3 points
- Syllables in first name = 5 points
- Syllables in middle name = 7 points
- Date of delivery = 9 points
- Length = 11 points
- Weight = 13 points
- Time of birth = 15 points
- Length of labor = 17 points
- Closest numeric values win whether under or over
- Full points for every correct (or nearest) answer
- Labor starts at the point contractions have been at least 1 minute long, 5 minutes apart, for an hour and ends with delivery
- Entries must be submitted as a comment before labor begins
- One entry per person (adults only)
Prizes awarded for top 3 totals. In the event there are more than 3 ties at the top, we will award more prizes.